Welcome to Year 5’s Webpage.
The staff in Year 5 are Mrs May, Mr Burt & Mrs Aedy
- Swimming takes place on Wednesday in the first half of the Autumn term
- PE is on Wednesday and Friday
- Reading books can be changed daily with the expectation to read to an adult 3 times a week
- Spellings are handed out on Monday to learn by the following Monday
- Maths homework will be set on Education City on a Friday to be completed by the following Friday (paper copies can be requested)
- Maths games to be changed every Thursday
- Speed Tables will be carried out weekly with the expectation the children will know their 12 x 12 tables by the end of Year 5
Year 5 Overview
The topic to for the first half term is Traditional Tales and writing a playscript based on the story of ‘Little Red Riding Hood’. We learn about the habitats of creatures living in the woods and how they adapt to their environment. We learn about how to live a healthy life style: eating healthy food and keeping ourselves fit.
The topic for the second half of Autumn is Egyptians and writing non-chronological reports about Pharaohs and their Gods. In science we are looking at the effects forces have on objects. We are going on a trip to Kidzania to experience the world of work and write a recount on how to be an adult for a day.
The topic for the whole term is Native America.
In the first half term we are learning about the life of Pocahontas and writing a biography about her and other famous Native Americans. In science, we are looking at the changes in materials based on their properties. We are learning how to play Tag Rugby and in training for a tournament in the second half term.
In the second half term we are looking at traditional stories from Native America and writing our own traditional story. In topic we are researching how natural resources affected the native’s lifestyle? Plus comparing & contrasting the different tribes of Native America.
The topic for the Summer Term is The Great Outdoors.
In the first half term we will be looking at volcanos and how/why they erupt. We will then write an explanation text about what we find out. In science, we are looking at Earth and Space – describing the movement of Earth and other planets in the Solar System.
In the second half of the Summer Term we will continue our topic The Great Outdoors; focusing on natural disasters and the effect they have on the community. In science, we will be looking at Life Cycles including humans. We will experience what it is like to live outdoors, spending one night under canvass at a local independent school.
- Year 5 Maths Learner (273KB)