Welcome to Year 6’s Webpage
The staff in Year 6 are Mrs Pearce, Mrs Dupree, Mrs Cochrane & Miss Smith.
Contact us at: Y6class@greenfields.herts.sch.uk
- Reading records should be handed in every Monday morning. Books can be changed any day of the week. We ask children to read at least 4 x per week and share their reading with an adult (discussing books, asking questions about their reading, exploring vocabulary).
- Brain Trainer (5 arithmetic) questions are sent home every day.
- Spelling homework focusing on rules and investigations is sent home on a Monday.
- Read Theory is set on a Tuesday.
- Maths homework is set on a Wednesday.
- English (grammar) homework is sent home on a Thursday.
- PE is on a Tuesday and Friday and children should come to school in their PE kit. This may be outside so your child may want to bring a tracksuit top/bottoms as school uniform jumpers/coats are not to be worn in PE lessons.
- Year 6 Meet the Teacher - 23-24 (2.65MB)
- Year 6 Long Term Overview (840.56KB)
- Year 6 Yearly Subject Overview (30.31KB)
- Our handwriting formation and ditties (30.20KB)
- Year 7 Recommended Reading List (138.51KB)
- Book Free Reading Passport (211.64KB)
- Year 6 Maths Learner (184.06KB)
Year 6 Blog
October 2022 in Year 6
We have been working hard in class and lots of learning has taken place
In October, we have been:
- Reading Goodnight Mr Tom and writing diary entries, letters home, newspapers
- Extending our learning about fractions
- Making propaganda posters in our WW2 topic
- Continuing our work with Jo from Watford Trust on having a positive mindset
First month in Year 6
We are enjoying our new classroom and have settled in well.
Some things we have done in September are:
- A class trip to Lincolnsfield where we were evacuees for the day. We learned all about World War 2 and experienced ‘a day in the life’ of a WW2 child (see picture)
- Write books to share with Year 3 about their experience of WW2
- Learn about the body in Science and done some experiments
- Think about having a positive mind in PSHE (see picture)
- Problem solving in Maths (see picture)
- Elected House Captains and School Council members (see picture)
World Book Day
We had fun on World Book Day reading and sharing some of our favourite books.
We had a class quiz involving picture rounds and a book-based film soundtrack round!
Some of us came back to school in the evening to hear books being shared by teachers across the school.
Roll Up, Roll Up… Christmas is Coming!
Now that December was here, the end of term would not be the same without a Christmas Fair, a class Xmas party and of course a good old sing song and a show featuring a medley of classic Christmas hits.
And in the words of Slade themselves: ‘Merry Christmas Everybody!’
Year 6 led us in a beautifully moving Remembrance Assembly this morning.
Visit to World War 2 Bunker
As part of our learning about our locality during World War, we headed just a few miles away to Hillingdon to explore an authentic bunker used in World War 2.
After a workshop in the classroom, we headed below to explore before some photos with aircraft outside and a visit to the museum there.
Purcell School of Music Concert
We enjoyed a lovely trip to the Watford Colosseum this afternoon, to hear the Purcell School of Music’s Orchestra play. We particularly enjoyed all the Disney tracks!
Lincolnsfield Centre Visit
What a great start to our unit of work on WW2 visiting the Lincolnsfield Centre today.
St Helen’s School
As part of our activity days, we spent a day visiting St Helen’s School in Northwood.
What a fantastic day they organised for us involving, climbing, badminton (taught by an ex-GB Olympian!),
swimming and rounders. Our day ended with toasting (and of course eating) marshmallows on the fire to make ‘smores’ – yum yum!
We were so grateful to the staff for such an amazing experience. They wanted to keep the class there as their own because they were SOOO impressed with their attitude, behaviour participation & team ethos and could not praise the class enough, leaving Year 6 teach staff team immensely proud (as we always are) to call them our class.
Chessington – A Whole World of Adventure…
We all headed off to Chessington theme park for one of our activity days.
Everyone has a fantastic time, whizzing up, down, round and round whilst facing our fears! The rides were fast and furious and at times they were wet … and most definitely WILD!
The whole class represented the school brilliantly, with exemplary behaviour and amazing team spirit, whilst having a whole lot of fun!